Thursday, March 27, 2008

FROM THE ARCHIVE

OK, how long have I been writing? Ah, HELL'S BELLS, too f-ing long! I remember scratching out a poem in high school about some cloud or something and the girl in the row next to me looked over and asked, "What are you doing?" I looked at her and replied in a matter-of-fact manner, "Writing you a poem." She rolled her eyes at me. Her name was Becky.....something. I remember calling her Becky Thatcher, after that cute little vixen that stole Tom Sawyer's heart. Not that this high school Becky in the next row over stole my heart, but she was cute (if I remember correctly....it's been a long-ass time!)

The poem was bad. But I will allow that it contained a certain level of energy that emitted a sense of obsession - like Tom S tried to express to the love of his life. I guess within the poem can be seen a suggestion of unrest and need for adventure like what was provided in the novel as well. Had Mark Twain wrote the poem, though, it probably would have come off better then it did. Twain had wit and wisdom....I was a wanna-be joker with very little work ethic and no drive. I remember this poem. But, it is lost. I can't find it. So, I dig deeper.

The following is the earliest poem I ever wrote (that I know of, or that I can remember). Fifth grade, Osborne Elementary, Turlock, California...

Motorcycle

2/26/80

White, red

Fast, dirty, jumpy

Fun to ride

dirt bike


How's that for freakin' POETRY???!!!

No comments: