Thursday, April 10, 2008

A REVIEW FROM DODGER-CHASER

This is a movie review from my buddy, Dodger. In regards to the new STONES flick, his words are my words exactly!


SHINE A LIGHT

Papa-T & I just went and saw Martin Scorsese's Shine A Light documentary on the Rolling Stones at IMAX. It was a total blast. I also bought the two disc soundtrack (even though I own every album the band has made). Even though I've seen the band live (1994), it was a worthwhile experience.

It was filmed about a year ago in a fairly small theater (New York's BEACON THEATRE) to an audience of about 3,000 (quite a small venue for a band that usually only plays for 30,000 plus). This made for much better sound quality than their usual stadium shows. The show was some sort of fundraiser for global warming awareness or some such environmental concerns, and Bill Clinton introduced the band (that man is the essence of politician charisma in a down to earth way).

The downside to filming at a political fundraiser is that most of the audience members are middle aged suit and tie wearing country club liberal types who applaud at the end of each song as if they just witnessed Tiger Woods make par on the 11th hole at the Buick Invitational. But the film's producer appears to try to make up for this by putting all hot young skimpily clothed chicks in the front row.

The film's highlights are three guest appearances. Jagger's duet with Jack White on Loving Cup and with Buddy Guy on Champagne and Refer were vintage. When I found out that Christina Aguilera was going to sing on my all-time favorite Stone's song, Live With Me, I thought the tune would be ruined. Much to my surprise it was the highlight of the show.

It's also nice to finally have a version of Some Girls that I can play in public without the dreaded reference to what black girls want to do all night long. The best songs were the hidden gems from Let It Bleed and Exile On Main street that haven't been overplayed by DJ's during the last 35 years. My only criticism of the film is that a few of the songs played from the Some Girls album lacked the cocky playfulness they had from the original studio recordings. Far Away Eyes sounds flat and lifeless. Also, Keith Richard's vocals were showcased on the mediocre track Connection. Though not the best singer, he has done much better songs over the years (such as Little T&A which was included in the expanded two disc soundtrack) that would have fit into this film much better.

I have listed some songs I recommend for download. Though every song is great, the songs I recommend for download are the ones in which the live versions captures a quality not present on the studio original - each of which you may have heard hundreds of times already.


4 STARS

Recommended Downloads: She Was Hot, All Down The Line, Loving Cup, Champagne and Reefer, Live With Me, Shine A Light.

No comments: